Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Prayer

Lately I have been studying conference talks from the October 2016 General Conference. I recently read "The Lord Jesus Christ Teaches Us to Pray" by Elder Juan A. Uceda of the Seventy.
Why so many parts of the talk made me pause to ponder, this quote in particular made me think:

"Do you prepare yourself to make important decisions by praying to your Heavenly Father? Do you prepare yourself for a moment of prayer?"

While I always take my important decisions to Heavenly Father, I rarely specifically and purposefully prepare myself for a moment of prayer. This quote made me wonder, how does a person prepare themselves for a prayer. The following are only my own thoughts and I am sure, if I took the time, I could find many other conference talks and scriptures that would give greater insight to this principle.

-Before I pray, take time to breath. So often I am rushing, physically and mentally. I need to take the quiet time to slow down.
-Think about what I'm am going to say, what questions does Heavenly Father want me to ask him so that I can learn something. So often I just have a list of things I need.
-As I think about what to say do I ever allow the spirit to put thoughts in my mind of what I should say or ask for?

With these goals in mind, I really believe that prayer can be more than a routine (which is what it has been for me lately), it can be a recharge and a special time between you and Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment